Sunday 5 February 2012

On Clothing (again?) and being a Tourist.

It's been very cold recently. Just in case you hadn't noticed. I was lucky enough to have a new pair of winter longs dropped off by my Mum and Dad when they came to visit last weekend, and I can say I have been ultra appreciative these past 7 days or so. They're Giordana Body Clone ones, so rather posh (although no way near as posh as Assos...just saying ;D) They've got a double layer of Super Roubaix fabric on the knee and upper part of the thigh, and let me just say, that is heavenly in the cold and wet. The major thing that's been bothering me whenever it's got really cold or cold/wet is cold knees and thighs...cold knees always make me instinctively go for smaller gears than necessary and cold penetrating your thighs just makes the whole act of riding a bit grim. So I am rather happy to report after having worn them in very cold and wet conditions that my legs stay toasty warm! In fact, wearing them has made me realise just how inadequate other clothing choices have been this past week...moving on to today.


It was forecast to be about 6 degrees by 12:00 today, light winds, not so low overnight temperatures-in short a world away from what the rest of the country was expected to suffer. I dressed accordingly, knowing from past experience that 6 degrees is the point where I can't wear full winter gear without seriously overheating. Long story short, it was a mistake. It was really quite cold. Down to about 2/3 degrees by the time I met the club and it didn't really climb much higher for most of the ride. I attempted to rectify my slight faux pas by riding on the front, which it must be said was successful in that it kept my core warm, but did sod all for my fingers, toes and ears. I don't like cold digits, I'm a bit particular about that. I'll tough it out if there's not other option; but I spent the first 30 miles berating myself for not at least putting my liner gloves on. Ho hum. You win some, you lose some toes. Or something. I suppose I was due for some karma after being smugly warm last week in my new thermals while Max frozzled his way along. next to me.


Costa Del Aberdovey was our ultimate destination once again today. Not much more to say other than we got there, had a little fun doing some through and off coming back through Borth, I added a couple of loops in to make the 5 hours I wanted and the shower was lukewarm at best. 


One thing that did make me smile today was somebody remarking that the worst part about me dropping them on the hills (I was practicing my attacks y'see) was not that he couldn't keep up-more that all he could see was a pannier rack disappearing up the road. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the reasons I put it on. Well, not a big one-it is very useful for tying stuff to. (what do you mean what stuff? Well, how about waterproof? Roadkill? Impulse side-of-the-road purchases? Exactly.) but I do quite like how it lulls people into a false sense of security. 'Oh he's got a pannier rack. Obviously a Tourist. Probably slow.' :D


Hopefully might have the race Steed with me next week. Seriously cannot wait. Especially as it's coming with a little surprise this time. Not for me, as I already know-but I still see it as a surprise! Maybe a pic will help explain:
It's coming avec Crud Roadracers, hence the black tape on forks and seat stays. And yes that is a Powertap.


Where's the summary we have come to love and look forward to I hear you cry! To be honest, not much to summarise really. 

  • It took me 13.8 hours on the bike to do 134 miles. No, I'm not that slow, over half the bike time this week was on the turbo! What fun!
  • Digits lost: At one point I thought most! Although actually none.
  • Treehouse Brownies consumed: 3. (The Treehouse is probably the best place in the world, and certainly Aberystwyth, to get a brownie, or a Jacket Potato, or salad, or those little Curry Pasty things they do, or Wholefood-y things. I could go on.)
  • Pointless Summary lists compiled: 2. I deleted the other as it really was utterly pointless.
I'm fairly sure there was a lot more of interest I was going to talk about; but I have this habit of being out on the bike and thinking: 'Oh wow! That would make an excellent blogpost!'. And then promptly forgetting it by the time I've showered, eaten, washed up, washed all my kit blah blah blah. 

On an unrelated note (unrelated to the above) I was reading about Cancellara's E3 Prijs Harelbeke victory from last year again and was reminded about just how jaw droppingly crushing he was that day, so just in case you'd forgotten/not seen it/don't know who or what the fook I'm on about-here is a video that might explain. That man is one hell of a bike rider.













First race is in 4 weeks :O




EDIT:


Oh yeah, I also got all nostalgic yesterday when me and Max started planning/discussing how to tackle the BUCS events this year. BUCS HC you are mine son. Just, maybe minus the cheesy music.

No comments:

Post a Comment