Sunday 29 January 2012

Everyone Loves Spring!

It's true. Just a shame today wasn't especially 'springlike'. The temperature never got above 3 degrees (we had a GarminMan with us, we knew exactly what the temperature was. And Gradient...'over to Wojtek for a Gradient check' is going to become a standard of our rides I am sure.)



But first, rewind 24 hours. Saturday morning. I met up with Max and Wotjek (new Uni cycling compatriots-awesome guys, say Hi if you see them) and as it was such a nice morning (sunny-no wind :O) we decided to take a trip to the seaside. That is to say we decided to leave our seaside town, and travel to a renowned coffee shop in another seaside town via a route that took in a seaside village. Imaginative or what?! Destination: Aberdovey which turned out to be ever so nice, and rather reminiscent of the latter stages of Milan-San Remo as Max pointed out. Just without the Poggio. Or Italian weather. But seriously, the road from Machynlleth to Aberdovey is one you have to ride at some point. Diary it, or write it down on a post it note and stick it to the mirror-you'll thank me sooner or later! 
View from Aberdovey back towards Borth.


Same again, but from outside the cafe.




So yesterday was lovely, plus the parents were down for Friday/Saturday so I got a couple of free meals and a massive food shop done as well! Rather pleased about that...especially with the homemade crumble Mum brought with her :D that's going down an absolute treat...


But back to today. The forecast was for heavy rain pretty much all day. It didn't turn out quite that badly, but it wasn't exactly balmy. Like I said, sub 4 degrees for the whole ride climbing into snow showers, descending out of them, seeing ice, (thankfully) missing ice on the road, getting cold digits. In fact, allow me to elaborate on that last point. The last descent we did, involving about 1000ft of height loss in a few miles left us all lacking sensations in feet, hands, faces, brains...and I can honestly say I have never experienced pain like the pain I experienced when my fingers finally thawed out back in the flat. It was exccrrruuucciiiatttting. I'm not normally one to moan, it never achieves much. But fook me! That hurt! Of course in true student style we managed to make the ride a bit more interesting on the climb up to Nant-yr-Arian:
What more can I talk about...rather ran out of time to do stuff this evening as was sorting out a rather interesting purchase that should make training more in depth, more specific and give me more to talk about on here in the future. Watch this space ;D




Weekly Bullet Point List:

  • Less miles and hours than last week, which I think is due to post exam (which went well by the way!) feelings of euphoria/fatigue. Or maybe that's just an excuse. Either way! Felt a bit tired this week, but still got 10.5 hours in. 
  • I now have my turbo with me. Which I am positive my flat mates will come to loath. I'll just have to be considerate when I use it I think!
  • Got some food for my Bonsai tree, but it doesn't look good :/
  • Ebay is addictive and should be banned. At least for half an hour every day.
  • Brain is starting to 'fart' instead of produce eloquent acts of writing awesomeness, so I'll call it a night there.








No comments:

Post a Comment